It’s time for spring cleaning! Any tips for a pet-loving household?

Yes! First, never allow your pet access to areas where cleaning agents are used or stored. If ingested, these could cause severe burns of the tongue, mouth and stomach. Some additional tips as you clean & organize your home:

  • Store all prescription and over-the-counter drugs out of your pets’ reach, preferably in closed cabinets. One regular strength ibuprofen (200mg) can cause stomach ulcers in a ten-pound dog. One extra strength acetaminophen (500mg) can kill a seven-pound cat.
  • Some common household items are highly toxic to pets, even in low quantities, and should be kept out of their reach. These include mothballs, potpourri oils, fabric softener sheets, automatic dish detergents and batteries.
  • All automotive products, such as oil, gasoline and antifreeze, should be carefully stored in areas away from pets. As little as one teaspoon of antifreeze (ethylene glycol) can be deadly in a seven-pound cat, and less than one tablespoon can be lethal to a 20-pound dog.
  • If using rat or mouse baits, ant or roach traps, or snail and slug baits, place the products in areas that are inaccessible to your pets. Most baits contain sweet smelling ingredients, which can be very appealing to your pet.
  • Be aware of the plants you have in your house and yard. Azalea, oleander, mistletoe, sago palm, Easter lily & yew plant material are toxic to pets if ingested.
  • If treating your lawn or garden with fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides, always keep your pets away from the area until it dries completely. Store these products in an area that will ensure no possible pet exposure.

Leave a Comment