What is xylitol and why is it harmful to my dog?

Xylitol is a sugar substitute frequently used in human products. Although safe for humans, small amounts consumed by dogs may lead to seizures, liver damage and potentially death. Xylitol is commonly found in gum, candy, mints and toothpaste. It is now being added to cake mixes, yogurt and peanut butter. Check labels carefully, especially on sugar free products, before giving them to your dog. If your dog accidently ingests these products, seek medical attention immediately.